Broad bean and bacon bruschetta
Our friends at Falcon are always giving us delicious recipes! This broad bean and bacon bruschetta is the perfect starter to any good meal.
Easy Prep time: 20 mins Cooking time: 15 mins Serves 4
- Sourdough bread, cut into 4 thick slices
- 600 gm broad beans, already podded
- 2 rashers bacon, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Handful of flatleaf parsley
- Juice of half a lemon
- ¼ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 200 gm fresh ricotta
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200°C Fanned grill.
- To double-peel the broad beans, place them into a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water from a kettle, allow to sit for 10 minutes then drain. Make a tiny slit in the outer skin of each broad bean and gently squeeze to pop out the inner bean. Discard the skins and set broad beans aside.
- Lay the bread slices on a baking sheet and place on the top shelf (the oven door remains closed when using this function) for 3-4 minutes until golden, turn over and cook again to brown the other side; transfer to your serving plate.
- Pour half the olive oil into a fry pan over medium heat, add the bacon and cook for 5-7 minutes until the it begins to crisp, then add the rest of the olive oil, garlic and peeled broad beans and cook for a further 3 or 4 minutes to warm the beans through. Add the parsley and lemon juice and season well with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta and parmesan cheese and season with pepper then spread a generous layer onto each slice of bread, then serve topped with a mound of broad beans, and if you like, a poached egg on top.